You’re beautiful with God’s beauty,
Beautiful inside and out!
God be with you.
She was thoroughly shaken, wondering what was behind a greeting like that. But the angel assured her, “Mary, you have nothing to fear. God has a surprise for you: You will become pregnant and give birth to a son and call his name Jesus.
He will be great,
be called ‘Son of the Highest.’
The Lord God will give him
the throne of his father David;
He will rule Jacob’s house forever—
no end, ever, to his kingdom.”
Mary said to the angel, “But how? I’ve never slept with a man.”
The angel answered,
The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
the power of the Highest hover over you;
Therefore, the child you bring to birth
will be called Holy, Son of God.
“And did you know that your cousin Elizabeth conceived a son, old as she is? Everyone called her barren, and here she is six months pregnant! Nothing, you see, is impossible with God.”
And Mary said,
Yes, I see it all now:
I’m the Lord’s maid, ready to serve.
Let it be with me
just as you say.
Then the angel left her."
Purpose: This is the Second Lesson in our Christmas Lesson Plans, and it prepares the children for the birth of Jesus, buy telling the story of the Angel Gabriel telling Mary, the mother of Jesus, that she has been picked to be the mother of God.
Materials needed: As many balloons as you have or expect to play, pairs of children, and 1 blindfold per team.
1) Give a balloon to one of the team members, and blind fold that team member. Then tell them that the sighted member needs to guide the blind member toward them. The object is to put the balloon between their foreheads, and then walk from the starting place to the finish line. If the balloon falls, the sighted person can not touch it with anything but his forehead, so he has to guide the blind one to pick it up and continue.
2) First one across the finish line wins.
3) Play the game until everyone has played
Ask them what the key to winning the game is. You are trying to guide them to say they had to trust their partner and obey his/her words.
Ask them how they would feel if an Angel were talking to them. Would the believe or disbelieve what they were told and told to do? How would they know if it was a Angel of God? (Holy Spirit)
Tell them that Mary the mother of Jesus was told that she was going to be the mother of God by the Angel Gabriel. Ask what would have happened if she was not courageous and believed?
Luke 1:26-45 - (MSG)
1) Read them the Verse using the team reading method. Have 2 or three adults or helpers who like to act sit in a chair, and select 1 child who can handle re-interpreting the verse. Have someone who can read well read a line or 2 at a time, and then the people in the chairs take terms retell the line.
a) Lead them to mention The Angel talking to Mary
b) Lead them to mention that the story was tied to John's Birth too.
3) Ask them what promises he made about Jesus. Make sure you mention Son of God, Throne of David, Ruler of the House of Jacob. Then ask them if that part came true. (yes)
4) Did she agree to follow the word of the Lord.
If you have time, download the 1/2 page cards shown at the top of the lesson plan, cut them into enough 1/2 page cards for every student, and have them color them. Download cards by clicking here.