Purpose: To Teach the students about the hopelessness a Blind Person might feel, and how sighted people may treat them and to show them that Jesus is till the answer for hopelessness..
3) Put the balloons on one side of the room, all mixed up, and divide the students into two groups. Pick one student from each team and blind fold them. Put all the students on the other side of the room.
4) Tell them the rules and goals of the Drill:
a) The non-blind team members can not leave their side of the room,
b) The goal is to get all of your team members balloons back to the side of the room that the non-blind members are waiting, pop the balloons, find the slips of paper in the balloons, and figure out what the sentence is.
c) The Blindfolded student CAN NOT pick up more than one balloon at a time, nor can they take the other teams balloons. If they do, they must return them, before getting more of their own.
d) The team that gets the complete sentence first Wins.
5) Say Go.
1) How does it feel when you can not see?
2) Was it easy to figure out what you team members wanted?
3) Did you feel like you were important and useful or was it frustrating? Why?
4) What could have made your life easier?
5) Did you feel at anytime hopeless?
To the Other Team Members:
1) Was it easy to get your blind team member to get what you wanted?
2) Did you ever feel like doing it your self because it would be easier?
3) How did it feel to have a blind team member.
Tell the students that in your experience there are only 2 ways to overcome hopelessness, like a real blind person in this game might feel. 1 is to have really good team members. This is very rare. The other, and better way, is to be on a winning team, with Jesus as the captain. Imagine how much hope you would have, if your team had God on it.
You can tell them the Gross fact of the day, that in ancient Greece, they left children out in the woods for the wolves to take, or to just die of exposure, if they were Blind, or sometimes if they were just female, or had any other birth defect. Imagine in that environment how little help you would get from anyone.
These people are/were often forced to be beggars just to stay alive. Pretty hopeless.
Read the Verse for the day from above. Take your time, explain the words and feelings.
1) Why did he cry out to Jesus? - Faith in the Son of God - Hope
6) What made well? - Faith
7) Are they places in your life that you have been hopeless? Who ya gonna call?
What do I do if I Have too Much Time for This Lesson?